I work with schools in the Denver metro area, across the United States, and abroad.
My workshops for teachers are interactive and span concerns of all grade levels from Kindergarten through high school. Workshop topics include, but are not limited to:
- Organizing, troubleshooting, and maintaining effective reading and writing workshops
- Developing curriculum maps and designing focus lessons to move learners through a year-long study of various genres in reading and writing
- Scaffolding instruction to meet the needs of all learners (for all subject areas)
- Formative assessment and feedback (for all subject areas)
- Writing across the curriculum (for all subject areas)
- Conferring with readers and writers
- Standards-based planning, assessing, and grading (for all subject areas)
- Developing educational leaders: Customized to meet the needs of the school site – includes working with administrators, curriculum leaders, and/or instructional coaches.
I have presented on these topics at conferences from Portland, Oregon to Fairfax County Virginia, and in workshops from upstate New York to North Carolina to Vienna, Austria.
Below is a quote from a teacher who sent me an e-mail during the school year after attending a three-day institute with me in the summer of 2008:
Last year my goal was to improve my writing instruction. I actually love to write, but absolutely hated to teach it. As a first year teacher, of course, that was just one problem that I needed to face. So I ended up taking your class, and what an inspiration it was. Last week I had my first formal observation, and I chose to be observed during writing time. My assistant principal was in awe at the progress I’d made, and of course, I told her aobut your class and how helpful it was. And now that I am writing the cover sheet for my records of teaching, I am mentioning the one class that I will always remember as the one that changed my perspective on teaching writing. My 3rd graders love writing time! And it’s actually become my favorite part of the day.
Yvana P., Denver Public Schools
Please contact me with any inquiries: